The Have Nots were formed by David "DaVo" Wilkins and Paul Gray in the Spring of 1996 and were a staple of Safari and the Des Moines Music Scene. Over the roughly 20 months that they existed they played opened for countless national acts including Fastball, Murphy's Law, Quincy Punx, Apocalypse Hoboken, Mercy Rule, Blanks 77 and countless others. Though it was a punk band it featured three current or future members of Slipknot Paul Gray (Guitar), Joey Jordison (Guitar) and Greg "Babyface" Welts (Drums). Round out the line up was long time promoter/talent buyer and old ass punker David "DaVo" Wilkins(vocals) and Brian DuBay on Bass. A majority of the music was written by the same team that would create a majority of the music of Slipknot Paul and Joey with DaVo supplying the lyrics and some input on the music.
Though this site host a much longer version of the Band's History here's a quick version:
- Formed in early 1996.
- Recorded their Demo and played their first show in April or May of 1996.
- Joey left the band in February of 97 sighting that his side-project Slipknot was taking up too much of his time.
- John aka "Little John" took over Joey's duties.
- Greg moved away and moved back a number of times while the band went through a couple of drummers including Joey sitting in a few times.
- DaVo decided it call it quits in October of 1997 mainly because Paul's side-project called Slipknot was taking up way too much of his time.
Though there has been countless talk over the year between DaVo and Paul of reforming nothing really ever came of it. However, spurred on by countless request over the years and with the blessing of a majority of the members once again the rare and long out of print 1996 Demo is planned to be released in the first quarter of 2013. If you are interested in a copy please stay tuned for release information.